About My Research

This site serves as a reflection of my graduate thesis work in automotive textile design at North Carolina State University.  I began this site in January 2009 and plan to maintain it until my graduation in December 2009.  I have been in the graduate program at the College of Textiles for 1 year of a 2 year program.  During this first year, I have focused on the automotive industry, design, and sustainability.  Now at the half-way point, I have selected my thesis topic and made plans as to how to approach my research so that my work is complete by October 2009.  In the right column of this blog, I have posted my personal timeline to ensure that I am meeting my deadlines.  Please take time to look through all the information included in the right hand column, especially if this is your first time visiting this site.

The purpose of this site is 3-fold.
1) Most scholars are only given 1 chance to write a thesis, and 2 years to learn how to do so.  Sure there are books on research methods and databases of theses to form a background or starting place for your work, but no one really explains to us exactly what this process is like from start to finish.
2) Over the past year, I have learned beyond my expectations about the automotive industry, past, current, and future.  Throughout my next year of study, I have access to resources that would be coveted by any designer in this industry and plan to uncover valuable correlations between design and success.  I will post many images and articles which I find the most enriching.
and 3) Writing my thoughts and progress where it is publicly available will encourage me to meet deadlines and provide a clear platform to keep my committee informed.

My Topic
I will be examining the history of automotive bodycloth development and aligning this with outside factors such as the economy, increase in mass production, increase in technical standards and regulations, the importance of fashion and color, along with what at this time is an unpredictable number of additional variables.  The ultimate question I aim to answer is if there is a concrete way to measure and predict success in order to save time, money, and resources.

2.16.2009

Three Dimensional Weaving

Hey folks!
I realize its been a while since I last posted, thanks to mid-term season, but I'm continuously gathering fascinating information for your reading pleasure!  
But for the time being... 
For one of my courses, I am writing a report on Automotive Spacer Fabrics.  I've just printed all my articles and checked out my books...so it looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me before I can report back to you.  Since this is a topic I am thrilled to learn more about, I'll be sure to let you in on this innovative (and environmentally friendly) advancement.  
Until then, enjoy these images I found from a University of Manchester presentation on "3D Weaving and Woven Structures" (which is different from, but related to, spacer fabrics).  These have multitudes of applications including automotive composites, medical implants, and protective clothing, and who else knows what the future holds for this versatile structure.  
And, as always, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about this topic and I will answer to my best ability (or point you to the best resource).

No comments:

Post a Comment